Oncological reconstructive surgery procedures such as immediate breast reconstruction largely rely on free flap techniques. A meticulous microsurgical technique and high-quality visualization are essential to achieve optimal outcomes and optimize patient recovery.
GLOW800 is a new approach to vascular fluorescence imaging developed and patented by Leica Microsystems to support surgeons. It allows to observe anatomy in natural color, augmented by a real-time view of vascular flow and tissue perfusion, with full depth perception. With GLOW800 Augmented Reality fluorescence, surgeons can make decisions with confidence during oncological reconstructive surgery.
In the below video, Dr. Chatel discusses GLOW800 Augmented Reality applications and its advantages during immediate breast reconstruction procedures.
For Dr. Chatel, GLOW800 Augmented Reality fluorescence – built-in the M530 OHX microscope - is the “extra step in refining the edges of our free flaps”. During immediate breast reconstruction, it helps the surgeon:
- Confirm the viability of the flap with indocyanine green (ICG)
- Identify the mastectomy skin that will survive and the skin that will not survive
- Increase the precision of the flap delimitation
- Avoid complications such as fat necrosis
As a result, post-operative convalescence tends to be shorter, providing a significant benefit for patients and surgeons.
GLOW800 Augmented Reality fluorescence is easy to use in the Operating Room (OR):
- The images can be displayed on an HD 4K monitor
- There is no need to turn off the lights and change the operating conditions
- The technology enhances learning and education, allowing everyone in the OR to easily follow each step of the procedure in 2D or 3D, on the monitor
If you would like to learn more about GLOW800 Augmented Reality fluorescence and Leica Microsystems solutions for oncological reconstructive surgery and immediate breast reconstruction, please feel free to contact us. Our team will gladly answer any question you may have.
In this video, Chief Microsurgeon Professor Küntscher and his team perform a radial forearm free…Apr 04, 2022Read article
The goal of penile reconstruction is to provide an aesthetic penoid with tactile and erogenous…Mar 14, 2022Read article
Free flap surgery is considered the gold standard for breast, head and neck reconstructions for…Jan 27, 2022Read article