Nanoscopy continues revolutionizing the study of subcellular architecture and dynamics
The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2014 was awarded “for the development of super-resolved fluorescence microscopy”. This groundbreaking work brought optical microscopy to a new era of fluorescence imaging beyond the diffraction limit, enabling scientists to observe molecules at the nano-level. Today, nanoscopy continues revolutionizing the study of subcellular architecture and dynamics.
STED on STELLARIS: Super-resolution for the life sciences
Combined with the STELLARIS platform, STED is a powerful and highly-versatile modality delivering cutting-edge multicolor, deep and live-cell nanoscopy results for your research.
- τ-STED advances nanoscopy by enabling demanding super-resolution applications with gentle live cell imaging, fast acquisition, and excellent image quality.
- Flexible nanoscopy at its fastest, thanks to the combination of fast white light laser (WLL) excitation, high speed resonant scanning and the excellent dynamic range of the STELLARIS new Power HyD detector family.
- Up to 3 STED lines (592, 660, and 775 nm) combined with the high-end STED-specialized objective lenses open up the full spectrum of visible light for deep and live cell applications.
- Fast auto-beam alignment for stability and reliability, protecting your sample from unnecessary light irradiation.
- From confocal to STED fast and within seconds, thanks to the intelligence of the brand-new ImageCompass user interface.
τ-STED: Nanoscopy meets Lifetime
τ-STED, exclusively from Leica Microsystems, advances nanoscopy for demanding applications. This is possible thanks to the unique combination of STED, the ultra-fast Power HyD detector family and FLIM as provided by FALCON.
τ-STED identifies the signal from the STED process and differentiates it from background using fluorescence lifetime in a novel way. It decodes the fluorescence lifetime gradient to deliver the desired resolution at dramatically lower light dose, and to push the resolution beyond conventional STED. The results are high quality images at resolutions better than 30 nm (lateral) and 100 nm (axial).*
τ-STED works for 2D and 3D multicolor STED, in live and fixed specimens. The lower excitation and STED light dose protect your sample, extend time-lapse experiments and enable large volume imaging. And with FALCON, the raw data is always available for validation and quantification.
*depending on sample and fluorophore.
Push the resolution while protecting your sample
τ-STED uses the lifetime information contained in every STED experiment to eliminate background and map the STED response of the fluorophore in real time. Access to this information allows you to increase image quality (expressed as signal/noise ratio) and resolution without having to resort to harsh imaging conditions.
τ-STED benefits from the flexibility of the STED platform: WLL excitation and STED effect all over the spectrum, optimized for your fluorophore of choice.
Get the super-resolution and quality you need at low light dose
When you look for low illumination strategies for your STED experiment, there is a key question: How low is low? The answer is far from trivial and from universally fixed values because, if you think about this, it depends on your sample, your label, and application.
We will not promise arbitrary light dose reductions that do not relate to your experiment. Instead, we can show you that τ-STED significantly reduces the light dose from the STED and the excitation in your sample. τ-STED eliminates the background and reaches resolutions that otherwise require significantly higher compensation dosage and loss of quantification capabilities.
τ-STED provides photoprotection in all dimensions
τ-STED works for multicolor applications. You can use the best dyes in the red region of the spectrum, go for fluorescent proteins in the green, or exploit novel fluorogenic probes in the orange. STED on STELLARIS is equipped with our WLL with AOBS to excite your sample where needed, and enables you to choose STED 775, 592, or our exclusive 660 laser lines.
Gentle nanoscopy for extended time-lapse experiments
The lower excitation and STED light dose translates into protection for the specimen, empowering longer time-lapse experiments (more frames), or larger volume imaging, without sacrificing spatial resolution.
Multicolor STED nanoscopy
Cover the whole spectrum of visible light
Multicolor applications give access to detailed information about the relationships of various structures. Colocalization studies are routinely performed with STED. The multiple STED laser lines of STED at 592, 660, and 775 nm, cover the whole spectrum of visible light and give access to many applicable fluorophores.
More colors make the difference!
The White Light Laser, the AOBS and the tunable Power HyD family of detectors synergistically enable imaging any kind of fluorophore combination and give you the highest flexibility for your multicolor experiment.
STED means for me: Seeing the essential details!
Prof. Stephan Sigrist, FU Berlin, Germany
Nanoscopy empowered by cutting-edge optics
When it comes to nanoscopy resolution, it is crucial to start with the best optics. The chromatic correction of our STED WHITE Class of objective lenses ensures optimal overlay of excitation and STED PSF in z all over the visible spectral range.
We have developed three STED specialized objective lenses for daily, deep, and live cell nanoscopy.
Among our STED WHITE lenses, the STED WHITE 100x oil lens delivers the highest numerical aperture (NA) and resolution, and performs excellently for standard fixed samples. For deep STED nanoscopy experiments, the STED WHITE 93x Glycerol objective lens is the lens of choice. The motorized correction collar adapts precisely and swiftly to cover glass thickness, temperature changes and specimen inhomogeneity, in 2D and 3D.
The STED WHITE 86x Water lens is dedicated to water-based experiments. The motCORR technology makes this lens a powerful companion in live cell and STED-FCS applications.
The 93x Glycerol lens is a must, everybody should have it!
Yasushi Okada, RIKEN Quantitative Biology Center, Japan
STED in the 3rd dimension
You can choose between best lateral resolution, best axial resolution or anything in between to get optimal results. Ultra-thin optical sections reveal unknown details. STED combined with the power of STELLARIS enable you to match the resolution of your microscope in all dimensions to your question and specimen.
Adding the third dimension and an additional STED line to STED imaging allows us to see things that were impossible to see before.
Dr. Timo Zimmermann, Center for Genomic Regulation, Barcelona, Spain
Select your resolution
Resolution improvements are accomplished by allocating the light to the two STED pathways: the best lateral resolution is achieved by the classic vortex donut, the best axial resolution by the z donut. It can also be optimized for the smallest focal volume.
Investigate molecular dynamics with STED FCS
STED provides a powerful tool to continuously tune the size of the observation area down to the nanoscale. For this reason, STED-FCS (fluorescence correlation spectroscopy) reports on the diffusion time, concentration, and binding constant of molecules even at higher concentrations (> 100 nM) than those possible with confocal FCS approaches.
STED-FCS can be combined with fluorescence lifetime imaging (FLIM) and related cross-correlation techniques (STED-FLCS, STED-FLCCS) enabling the study of different molecules whose fluorescence spectra may overlap.
Software solutions for STED – know your resolution
STED on STELLARIS is fully integrated into the intuitive LAS X software platform from Leica, ensuring ease of use and fast user training. Smart guidance powered by our brand-new ImageCompass user interface optimizes settings for fast confocal and τ-STED acquisition and visualization in 2D & 3D.
Our intelligent STED automatic alignment is accomplished with a single click and protects your sample from laser light exposure. The powerful LAS X Navigator software produces rapid large-area overview images to provide context and rapid identification of regions for more detailed subsequent STED examination.
Interested to know more?
Talk to our experts. We are happy to answer all your questions and concerns.Contact us now
Do you prefer personal consulting?
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cayman Islands
- Central African Republic
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
- Hong Kong SAR of China
- New Caledonia
- New Zealand
- Puerto Rico
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Saint Lucia
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- The Bahamas
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
- United States
- US Virgin Islands
- Leica Microsystems Inc.1700 Leider LaneBuffalo Grove, IL 60089United StatesOffice Phone: +1 800 248 0123Service Phone: 1 800 248 0223Fax: +1 847-236-3009
- Precision Lens5715 West Old Shakopee Road Unit 150Bloomington, 55437United StatesOffice Phone: 952-881-0414
- ECLIPSE SURGICAL SUPPLY LLC616 FAIRWAY MIST CTMINT HILL, 28227United StatesOffice Phone: 410-299-2711
- Great Plains Surgical, Inc.3605 Hidden CircleWest Fargo, 58078United StatesOffice Phone: 701-391-3333Service Phone: 701-391-3333Fax: 701-364-0307
- ICMAS Inc.120 McCammon AveMaryville, 37804United StatesOffice Phone: 865-984-8058
- Integrity Surgical2303 Ranch Road 620 S Suite 160-310Lakeway, 78734United StatesOffice Phone: 713-201-8787
- Next Case Surgical943 Maple Avenue - Upper LevelDowners Grove, 60515United StatesOffice Phone: 312-520-7600Fax: 219-662-7353
- Proficient Surgical Equipment, Inc99 Seaview Blvd. Suite CPort Washington, 11050United StatesOffice Phone: 516-487-1175Fax: 516-487-1191
- JH Technologies So. Cal213 Hammond AveFremont, 94539United StatesOffice Phone: 408-436-6336Fax: 408-439-6343
- Q Surgical28 Liberty Ship Way Suite 2830Sausalito, 94965United StatesOffice Phone: 415-331-1020Fax: 415-462-5186
- Rohlf Medical, Inc.2600 S. Minnesota Ave Suite 101Sioux Falls, 57105United StatesOffice Phone: 605-334-8655Fax: 605-334-9102
- Shawnee Medical Products, Inc.8401 Juniper LanePrairie Village, 66207United StatesOffice Phone: 913-341-7520Fax: 913-341-2318
- Spective, LLC3103 Glenwood DriveDurham, 27705United StatesOffice Phone: 919.452.6288
- Spective LLC - Canada3103 Glenwood DriveDurham, 27705United StatesOffice Phone: 919.452.6288
- TAP Medical Products, Inc.4580 Klahanie Drive S.E. #452Issaquah, 98029United StatesOffice Phone: 425-785-9993Fax: 800-832-1859
- Western Microsurgical6721 Esperanza DriveCastle Rock, 80108United StatesOffice Phone: 720-244-4679Fax: 303-331-8128
- Marathon Medical, Inc.1408 Christian Avenue Suite 35Durham, 27705United StatesOffice Phone: 919-309-4463Service Phone: 919-812-9500Fax: 919-309-4742
- Martin Microscope Company207 S Pendleton StEasley, 29640United StatesOffice Phone: 864-242-3424
- DB Surgical12480 West Atlantic Blvd Suite 1Coral Springs, 33071United StatesOffice Phone: 954-340-2727Fax: 954-340-1221