Fluorescence Lifetime Imaging
Fluorescence lifetime imaging microscopy (FLIM) is an imaging technique that makes use of the inherent properties of fluorescent dyes. Aside from having characteristic emission spectra, each fluorescent molecule has a characteristic lifetime that reflects how long the fluorophore spends in the excited state before emitting a photon. Lifetime analysis provides you with information in addition to your standard fluorescence intensity measurements.
Historically, lifetime imaging has been a slow, complex, and specialized technique. Its use was limited to experienced microscopists or physicists. Leica Microsystems is at the cutting edge of today’s fluorescence lifetime imaging advances. Our systems make lifetime imaging faster and easier to use than ever before, binging its advantages to every day confocal imaging experiments.
Fluorescence lifetime imaging provides additional information that can help you improve the quality of your confocal imaging. It can be particularly useful to discriminate fluorescence probes that have overlapping fluorescent emission spectra, or to eliminate unwanted background fluorescent signals.
FLIM is a crucial application for measuring and quantifying imaging data. As lifetime information is independent of fluorophore concentration, it is extremely well suited for functional imaging. Functional imaging goes beyond the traditional recording of the location and concentration of molecular species and enables further investigation of molecular function, interactions, and their environment.
Additionally, FLIM enables novel imaging applications, such as the use of biosensors to study the cell’s microenvironment or imaging based on the intrinsic fluorescent properties of your sample.
Learn more about FLIM and its imaging applications with the SP8 FALCON system by referring to this application note.
With the release of the fast and fully integrated lifetime imaging technology – the SP8 FALCON – Leica Microsystems set the benchmark for the future of lifetime imaging. Leica Microsystems received the prestigious R&D 100 Award for the SP8 FALCON system. This award recognizes the solution’s innovative approach to lifetime imaging.
Leica Microsystems solutions for FLIM enable you to harness the power of fluorescence lifetime to extract a new dimension of information from every sample with your confocal experiment. Investigate cellular physiology and explore cellular dynamics with FALCON. Get immediate access to functional information such as metabolic status, pH and ion concentration with the potential of Tausense in STELLARIS.
With our simplified, integrated platforms, you can gain new perspectives on your experiments, allowing you to harness new answers to your experimental questions.
- Metabolic imaging based on fluorescence lifetime provides insights into the metabolic dynamics of cells, but its use has been limited as expertise in advanced microscopy techniques was needed. Now,…Read article
- The use of autofluorescence in biological samples is a widely used method to gain detailed knowledge about systems or organisms. This property is not only found in biological systems, but also…Read article
- Viral entry into the host cell requires the coordination of many cellular and viral proteins in a precise order. Modern microscopy techniques are now allowing researchers to investigate these…Read article
- This video shows the presentation of Dr. Kohki Okabe given at the 9th Congress of the Federation of Asian and Oceanian Physiological Society (FAOPS) held in Kobe, Japan on 30 March 2019. Dr. Okabe…Read article
- SP8 FALCON (FAst Lifetime CONtrast) is a fast and completely integrated fluorescence lifetime imaging microscopy (FLIM) confocal platform. SP8 FALCON delivers video-rate FLIM with pixel-by-pixel…Read article
Development of fluorescence lifetime imaging microscopy (FLIM) and its relevance for functional imagingProf. Ammasi Periasamy, Director, Keck Center for Cellular Imaging, University of Virginia, was interviewed by Dr. Giulia Ossato, Product Manager functional imaging, during Leica Microsystems Meets…Read article
How FRET/FLIM Biosensors and Lifetime Imaging Helped Identify the Importance of Zinc for Human B-Cell DevelopmentIn her latest studies, Dr. Mukta Deobagkar-Lele investigated the role of ZIP7, a zinc transporter protein, in modulating B cell activity and its effects on human immunity. During an interview with Dr.…Read article
Single-residue bioorthogonal labeling of G protein-coupled receptors (GPCRs) in live cells for quantitative analysisTo perform quantitative studies of membrane bound G protein-coupled receptors (GPCRs) with high-performance microscopy, the proteins must first be labeled with bright and photostable dyes. The…Read article
- The Phasor analysis approach to analyze fluorescence lifetime does not require any fitting. Phasor FLIM (fluorescence lifetime imaging microscopy) provides a 2D graphical view of lifetime…Read article
- An international consortium of researchers has found a new mutation in a gene harboring a reticulum-to-cytoplasm zinc transporter. The gene is called ZIP7 and it is responsible for the early onset of…Read article
Precise and lightning-fast spectral Fluorescence Lifetime Imaging at video rate integrated in a high-end confocal microscopeFörster (Fluorescence) Resonance Energy Transfer (FRET) has become a powerful tool to study protein-protein interactions and signal transduction in living cells. FRET is commonly read out either by…Read article
Interested to know more?
Talk to our experts. We are happy to answer all your questions and concerns.Contact Us
Do you prefer personal consulting?
Leica Microsystems Inc.1700 Leider LaneBuffalo Grove, IL 60089 United StatesOffice Phone : +1 800 248 0123Service Phone : 1 800 248 0223Fax : +1 847-236-3009