Laser Microdissection, also known as LMD or LCM (Laser Capture Microdissection), is a contact- and contamination-free method for isolating specific single cells or entire areas of tissue from a wide variety of tissue samples. The thickness, texture and preparation technique of the original tissue are relatively unimportant. The dissectate is then available for further molecular biological methods such as PCR, real-time PCR, proteomics and other analytical techniques. Laser microdissection is now used in a large number of research fields, e.g. neurology, cancer research, plant analysis, forensics or climate research. The method is meanwhile also applied for manipulation of cell cultures or for microengraving of coverslips.
Our LMD Systems are perfect tools to optimize DNA-Workflows (Genomics), RNA-Workflows (Transcriptomics) and Proteomic-Workflows as they allow to precisely define and collect pure starting material for analysis under visual control.
Leica Laser Capture Microdissection Products
- Brain research: Single neuron excision for RNA analysis - Improve your workflow with laser microdissection - Parkinson’s disease is a common progressive neurodegenerative disorder. It is connected…Read article
- Brain Research: Collect pure starting material for proteomics - Improve your workflow with Laser Microdissection - Many brain diseases result from protein malfunction, misfolding and agglutination.…Read article
- DNA mutations lead to abnormal proteins or missing functional proteins, which can cause cells to multiply uncontrollably and become cancerous. To find and understand the underlying mutation for a…Read article
- Seeing is believing, this is what makes microscopes, imaging systems, or box-type imagers so important for researchers in many different fields like pathology research, cancer research, neuroscience,…Read article
- During Leica workshops for LMD users in Brazil, hosted by the Federal University of Paraná/UFPR (UFPR) at the Centro de Energia Nuclear na Agricultura/USP (CENA), the power of laser microdissection…Read article
- Tumor development results from mutations in our DNA. For their deeper analysis, cancer researchers have to dissect the relevant tissue areas. Here we report the reason why laser microdissection is a…Read article
- The main topic during this course was how to apply laser microdissection in neuroscience. Leica specialists demonstrated why laser microdissection is a suitable techniques for brain investigation as…Read article
- During the first Leica Workshop in Brazil, at the Centro de Energia Nuclear na Agricultura/USP (CENA), the participants learned how to prepare samples for laser microdissection (LMD) using a cryotome.…Read article
Workflows & Protocols: How to Use a Leica Laser Microdissection System and Qiagen Kits for Successful RNA AnalysisLaser Microdissection (LMD) allows isolating individual cells or chromosomes and is a well established technique for sample preparation prior downstream analysis of the nucleic acid content via PCR or…Read article
- Secondary plant metabolites are involved in various plant physiological and biochemical processes, allowing plants to interact successfully with their biotic and abiotic environment. Distribution…Read article
- New and far-reaching applications have recently been opened up in the field of laser microdissection. In addition to conventional dissection, the laser microdissection system (LMD) of Leica…Read article
- Arbuscular mycorrhizal (AM) fungi are an essential feature of the biology and ecology of most terrestrial plants and, as biofertilizers, AM fungi are an emerging issue in many projects focused on…Read article
- The physiological process of aging is an elementary part of life. The processes responsible for the aging process and the effect they have is one of the key focuses of biomedical research. Dr. Yvonne…Read article
Comparison of the RNA Quality of Native Tissue Samples with Tissue Samples after UV Laser MicrodissectionDue to its instability, RNA is generally more difficult to work with than DNA. RNA does not have the stability of the DNA double helix. To obtain the best results when dealing with RNA it is essential…Read article
- Different areas of the Central Nervous System (CNS) display a specific and selective gene expression profile. Here, we used the Laser Microdissection system Leica LMD6500 to study region-specific mRNA…Read article
- Laser dissection is used in a large number of research fields, e.g. neurology, cancer research, plant analysis. Here, user report on the research results they have attained by using laser…Read article
Interested to know more?
Talk to our experts. We are happy to answer all your questions and concerns.Contact Us
Do you prefer personal consulting?
Leica Microsystems Inc.1700 Leider LaneBuffalo Grove, IL 60089 United StatesOffice Phone : +1 800 248 0123Service Phone : 1 800 248 0223Fax : +1 847-236-3009