Sub-diffraction colocalization analysis reveals interactions unprecedented detail. Enabling novel discoveries to be made in the fields of virology, immunology, neuroscience and cancer, super-resolution is on its way to becoming the new gold standard in light microscopy.
Explore life’s true nature in unprecedented detail.
Super-resolution and nanoscopy products
It is about 20 years since super-resolution microscopy and nanoscopy arrived on the light microscopy scene, but it already plays an important role, particularly in life sciences – without superseding conventional confocal microscopy. The term super-resolution refers to methods that surpass the so-called diffraction limit. Applications are wide ranging – from dynamic vesicle movements to fluorescence images of sub-cellular structures, allowing researchers to see details in unprecedented detail. LIGHTNING Image Information Extraction is a super-resolution method that exploits the sub-diffraction lateral resolution capabilities of confocal microscopy. With LIGHTNING on a SP8 confocal microscope you can image multiple fluorophores simultaneously – without the need for sequential scanning. You can capture cellular details and observe dynamics with resolution down to 120 nm. As a truly infinitely super-resolving technology, STED nanoscopy offers resolution down to 30 nanometers. STED provides instant super-resolved imaging with multiple channels and approaching isotropic super-resolution in three dimensions. Underlining the impact of super-resolution microscopy, the 2014 Nobel Prize for Chemistry was awarded jointly to Eric Betzig, Stefan W. Hell and William E. Moerner "for the development of super-resolved fluorescence microscopy".
- The endoplasmic reticulum (ER) is a continuous membrane organelle in charge of protein synthesis, lipid synthesis and detoxification. The ER structure is described in terms of smooth peripheral…Read article
- When it comes to STED Nanoscopy, keeping high signal-to-noise is key to achieve the best possible resolution in fixed and living cells. This can be challenging in the case of experiments in 3D and/or…Read article
- Reliable interpretation and quantification of cellular features in fluorescence microscopy requires an accurate estimate of microscope resolution. This is typically obtained by measuring the image of…Read article
- Confocal Laser Scanning Microscopy (CLSM) is the standard for true 3D resolved fluorescence imaging. Fast optical sectioning using flexible scanning strategies in combination with simultaneous…Read article
- Malaria is a life-threatening disease transmitted through the bites of mosquitoes infected with protozoan parasites. The most common and dangerous type of malaria is caused by the parasite Plasmodium…Read article
- Alison Dun is the postdoctoral facility manager for the Edinburgh Super-Resolution Imaging Consortium (ESRIC), Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, UK. She has used a large range of microscope…Read article
- Neurons react to learning and memory by activating synaptic connections. The mechanisms behind this fundamental process are complex and poorly understood. Researchers at Thomas Jefferson University…Read article
Basal Body Positioning and Anchoring in the Multiciliated Cell Paramecium Tetraurelia: Roles of OFD1 and VFL3The development of a ciliary axoneme requires the correct docking of the basal body at cytoplasmic vesicles or plasma membrane. In the multiciliated cell Paramecium, three conserved proteins, FOR20,…Read article
- A list of the published scientific articles which include work done in the ALMS/MSI Facilities.Read article
- The 7th Super-Resolution User Club Meeting was held in collaboration with Prof Pavel Hozák , at the Institute of Molecular Genetics of the ASCR in Prague. Keeping the event close to science is one of…Read article
- The canonical atrial myocyte (AM) is characterized by sparse transverse tubule (TT) invaginations and slow intracellular Ca2+ propagation but exhibits rapid contractile activation that is susceptible…Read article
- Hemidesmosomes have been extensively studied by immunofluorescence microscopy, but due to its limited resolution, their precise organization remained poorly understood. We studied hemidesmosome…Read article
- The cytoskeleton is an early attribute of cellular life, and its main components are composed of conserved proteins. The actin cytoskeleton has a direct impact on the control of cell size in animal…Read article
The Bif-1-Dynamin 2 Membrane Fission Machinery Regulates Atg9-Containing Vesicle Generation at the Rab11-Positive ReservoirsApplication example of HyVolution Super-Resolution - Atg9 is a multispanning transmembrane protein that is required for autophagosome formation. During autophagy, vesicles containing Atg9 are…Read article
- Application example of HyVolution Super-Resolution - Mutations in the CLN1 gene that encodes Palmitoyl protein thioesterase 1 (PPT1) or CLN1, cause Infantile NCL (INCL, MIM#256730). PPT1 removes long…Read article
- Plasma membrane dynamics are an important ruler of cellular activity, particularly through the interaction and diffusion dynamics of membrane-embedded proteins and lipids.