Digital microscopes are optical microscopes operated without eyepieces, so the image is observed directly on an electronic monitor display . Digital microscopes provide users with a convenient and rapid way to acquire high-quality, reliable image data and make quick inspection and analysis of printed circuit boards (PCBs) and assemblies (PCBAs) [2,3]. Here it is shown how a digital microscope, like the DVM6, can help make quality control and assurance (QC/QA), failure analysis (FA), and research and development (R&D) of electronic parts and components reliable and efficient .
Multiple features of the DVM6 digital microscope make it easy to use and render QC, FA, or R&D workflows efficient:
- Intuitive software for microscope operation and data analysis;
- Efficient, simple way to change magnification over the entire range (12x to 2,350x);
- Encoding (automated tracking and storing) of important parameters, e.g., stage, optics, illumination, and camera settings, for rapid recall at any time;
- Fast and easy microscope head tilting and sample rotation;
- Integrated LED (light-emitting diode) ring light and coaxial illumination allowing versatile contrast;
- High performance digital camera with fast live image and 10 MP resolution; and
- Software enabled/supported capture modes, e.g. XY and XYZ stitching, high-dynamic-range (HDR), etc .
This report discusses how the first 3 points above contribute to a faster, more reliable workflow.
Operation of the DVM6 only requires a power cable and a USB cable connected to a computer running the Leica Application Suite X (