PVR surgery is especially challenging for a host of reasons, including the reduced countertraction for membrane removal against detached retina, the risk for creating additional retinal holes, hemorrhage, or inflammation that can generate new PVR, and the high likelihood of requiring prone positioning postoperatively to keep the retina attached. PVR may appear as prominent, white, fibrotic tissue with infolding of adjacent retina creating a classic “star fold” appearance. It may also manifest as thin sheets without obvious distortion. Incomplete removal of PVR may prevent retinal attachment or lead to recurrent RD after silicone oil tamponade is removed. Therefore, PVR should be removed as completely as possible to maximize the chances for permanent retinal attachment.
Read more about surgical management of PVR and see video of how Dr. Sisk treated a traumatic retinal detachment utilizing intraoperative OCT on the Proveo 8 surgical microscope.
- Idrees, S., MD, Sridhar, J., MD, & Kuriyan, A. E., MD. (2019). Proliferative Vitreoretinopathy: A Review. International Ophthalmology Clinics, 59(1), 221-240. doi:10.1097/iio.0000000000000258
- Khan, M. A., Brady, C. J., & Kaiser, R. S. (2015). Clinical Management Of Proliferative Vitreoretinopathy. Retina, 35(2), 165-175. doi:10.1097/iae.0000000000000447
- Pastor, J., MD. (1998). Proliferative Vitreoretinopathy: An Overview. Survey of Ophthalmology, 43(1), 3-18. doi:10.1016/s0039-6257(98)00023-x
- Dai, Y., Dai, C., & Sun, T. (2020). Inflammatory mediators of proliferative vitreoretinopathy: Hypothesis and review. International Ophthalmology, 40(6), 1587-1601. doi:10.1007/s10792-020-01325-4
- Chaudhary, R., Scott, R. A., Wallace, G., Berry, M., Logan, A., & Blanch, R. J. (2020). Inflammatory and Fibrogenic Factors in Proliferative Vitreoretinopathy Development. Translational Vision Science & Technology, 9(3). doi:10.1167/tvst.9.3.23
- Takahashi, H., MD, Uramoto, K., MD, & Ohno-Matsui, K., MD. (2020). Ultra-Widefield Optical Coherence Tomography For Retinal Detachment With Proliferative Vitreoretinopathy. RETINAL Cases & Brief Reports, Publish Ahead of Print. doi:10.1097/icb.0000000000000980
In this interview, Asheesh Tewari, MD, details his experience with Proveo 8 with EnFocus…Aug 30, 2021Read article