Superior cryo-fixation quality
Currently cryo-fixation is the only way to fix cellular constituents without introducing significant structural alterations.
The EM ICE solution uses a unique, alcohol-free freezing principle to allow a superior cryo-fixation of the specimen enabling better quality results to be obtained:
- No alcohol in the chamber leads to a faster pressure increase and immediate cooling of the specimen
- No alcohol residue on the carrier or the specimen
- Precisely define the timing for light and electrical stimulation
Application Note: Ultrastructural preservation and contrast in drosophilia tissue
Why Electrical Stimulation?
To resolve controversial questions in neurobiology, it is essential to employ new techniques for visualizing cellular activity.
The EM ICE solution offers electrical stimulation of neurons with millisecond precision and complete coordination of electrical discharge at the moment of freezing. It gives neurobiologists the most reliable tool for capturing and imaging action potential and membrane trafficking events.
See our Webinar
Why light stimulation?
Synchronizing light stimulation and high pressure freezing enables you to visualize in photosensitive specimens:
- highly dynamic processes and
- structural changes
with nanometer resolution and millisecond precision. This innovation opens up new possibilities for life science researchers.
With the EM ICE solution you can:
- Apply light stimulation to any light sensitive compounds
- Photoactivate various biological specimens
- Study, beyond the limits of current understanding, highly dynamic processes, such as neurotransmission at synapses
- Benefit from light stimulation, including precise correlation between the light pulses and moment of freezing
- Add with one click any of the 5 different LED light modules to the instrument. Each module is automatically recognized by the software and recorded in the log file.
Focus on your sample
You can load the sample in the EM ICE solution with one move.
Then, when you close the cover of the loading station, you trigger the perfectly aligned sequence of the cartridge assembly and freezing process.
No additional actions are needed, as the loading and freezing process are fully automated.
The specimen goes from fresh to frozen in 1 second!
You can complete your workflow fast with the EM ICE solution.
Recovery between freezing cycles is only one minute – so no waiting necessary.
The sample storage Dewar is refilled automatically with liquid nitrogen (LN2) – no maintenance necessary. It enables you to:
- Use 3 positions with a capacity to hold up to 3 different specimens
- Perform up to 9 consecutive freezing cycles
- Choose the number of specimens per position with programmed rotation and differentiation between specimens and conditions
The LN2 Dewar is drained automatically – no action necessary
Flexible & ready for upgrade
The Leica EM ICE gives you the flexibility you need for your research.
Feel free to:
- Choose the type of environmental control (loading station or table and chamber temperature control)
- Retrofit the instrument with light stimulation mode at any time
- Upgrade to environmental control (table heating and/or environmental chamber) whenever you need it
All upgrades (light stimulation module and environmental settings) can be performed directly in your lab by the Leica Service Team. There is no need to return the instrument to the factory.
Last, but not least
The team that developed the High Pressure Freezer Leica EM ICE has a total of 145 years experience in EM sample preparation and works closely together sharing one vision:
To provide you with the perfect instrument for your work!
Interested to know more?
Talk to our experts. We are happy to answer all your questions and concerns.Contact us now
Do you prefer personal consulting?
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cayman Islands
- Central African Republic
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
- Hong Kong SAR of China
- New Caledonia
- New Zealand
- Puerto Rico
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Saint Lucia
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- The Bahamas
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
- United States
- US Virgin Islands
- Leica Microsystems Inc.1700 Leider LaneBuffalo Grove, IL 60089United StatesOffice Phone: +1 800 248 0123Service Phone: 1 800 248 0223Fax: +1 847-236-3009
- Precision Lens5715 West Old Shakopee Road Unit 150Bloomington, 55437United StatesOffice Phone: 952-881-0414
- ECLIPSE SURGICAL SUPPLY LLC616 FAIRWAY MIST CTMINT HILL, 28227United StatesOffice Phone: 410-299-2711
- Great Plains Surgical, Inc.3605 Hidden CircleWest Fargo, 58078United StatesOffice Phone: 701-391-3333Service Phone: 701-391-3333Fax: 701-364-0307
- ICMAS Inc.120 McCammon AveMaryville, 37804United StatesOffice Phone: 865-984-8058
- Integrity Surgical2303 Ranch Road 620 S Suite 160-310Lakeway, 78734United StatesOffice Phone: 713-201-8787
- Next Case Surgical943 Maple Avenue - Upper LevelDowners Grove, 60515United StatesOffice Phone: 312-520-7600Fax: 219-662-7353
- Proficient Surgical Equipment, Inc99 Seaview Blvd. Suite CPort Washington, 11050United StatesOffice Phone: 516-487-1175Fax: 516-487-1191
- JH Technologies So. Cal213 Hammond AveFremont, 94539United StatesOffice Phone: 408-436-6336Fax: 408-439-6343
- Q Surgical28 Liberty Ship Way Suite 2830Sausalito, 94965United StatesOffice Phone: 415-331-1020Fax: 415-462-5186
- Rohlf Medical, Inc.2600 S. Minnesota Ave Suite 101Sioux Falls, 57105United StatesOffice Phone: 605-334-8655Fax: 605-334-9102
- Shawnee Medical Products, Inc.8401 Juniper LanePrairie Village, 66207United StatesOffice Phone: 913-341-7520Fax: 913-341-2318
- Spective, LLC3103 Glenwood DriveDurham, 27705United StatesOffice Phone: 919.452.6288
- Spective LLC - Canada3103 Glenwood DriveDurham, 27705United StatesOffice Phone: 919.452.6288
- TAP Medical Products, Inc.4580 Klahanie Drive S.E. #452Issaquah, 98029United StatesOffice Phone: 425-785-9993Fax: 800-832-1859
- Western Microsurgical6721 Esperanza DriveCastle Rock, 80108United StatesOffice Phone: 720-244-4679Fax: 303-331-8128
- Marathon Medical, Inc.1408 Christian Avenue Suite 35Durham, 27705United StatesOffice Phone: 919-309-4463Service Phone: 919-812-9500Fax: 919-309-4742
- Martin Microscope Company207 S Pendleton StEasley, 29640United StatesOffice Phone: 864-242-3424
- DB Surgical12480 West Atlantic Blvd Suite 1Coral Springs, 33071United StatesOffice Phone: 954-340-2727Fax: 954-340-1221