Components required with the Leica FL800 module
The image shows all components as they would appear in the ICG fluorescence surgical microscope Leica M720 (image) and Leica M525 OH4/F50
- Infrared & white light switching video
- Leica NIR Dual Video Adapter (DVA)
- Observation filter
- Video switchboard illumination filter unit
- Illumination module
- Protective glass
Observation modes: ICG-fluorescence
There are three alterations which allow the fluorescent operating microscopes to function:
- Excitation light – The surgical microscope light source must be altered from normally filtered light to allow excitation light. When the fluorescent operating microscope is activated, the filters are changed on a motorized wheel inside the xenon light source to expand the light from 700 to 800 n. This additional NIR energy allows the injected ICG combined with albumin to be excited and fluoresce.
- Seeing ICG fluorescence – A special black and white high-sensitivity NIR camera and special 820-860 nm filter is now enganged to see the fluorescence which is invisible to the surgeon's eye.
- Recording software – As blood flow is a dynamic event and the ICG flow will last only approx. 15 seconds, it is important to be able to easily play back images and play back in slow motion. The vascular fluorescence look can easily be played back with a single touch of look button.