Dental microsurgery involves the use of magnification and illumination for an enhanced visualization of anatomical details and fine structures. The dental microscope is an essential instrument used in dental procedures and dental surgery, allowing optimal assessment, preservation and maintenance of tooth structure and oral tissue, as well as minimally invasive procedures.
Leica Microsystem offers cutting-edge Dental Surgical Microscopy solutions, combining world-renowned optics, optimal ergonomics and maneuverability, and ease of use to support dental professionals in achieving surgical excellence.
The use of microscopes in dental surgery has a wide range of applications, since it allows an enhanced visualization of fine anatomical details and tissue structures. By using higher magnification and seeing more, dental professionals can apply their skills more precisely and optimize their workflow. Some of the most common applications of Dental Surgical Microscopy, also referred to as micro-dentistry, include the following:
- Endodontics and endodontic surgery
- Periodontics and periodontal surgery
- Prosthodontics and aesthetic dentistry
- Restorative dentistry
- Oral surgery
- Routine dental techniques
A dental microscope should provide optimal light intensity and depth of field, while achieving sufficient resolution when working in deep or narrow cavities, such as during root canal treatment.
In micro-dentistry procedures, it is essential to achieve optimal and precise control of dental instruments under high magnification to avoid damaging the dentine walls or other tissues.
Moreover, it is important to achieve visualization of anatomical details in vivid colors to ensure their correct differentiation, such as during removal of pathologic tissue during dental procedures or surgeries.
Maintaining a natural and comfortable working posture is another major challenge in dental microsurgery, as poor ergonomics can lead to significant stress and fatigue during lengthy procedures.
Dentistry is one of the most exposed professions to the COVID-19 virus due to the greatest physical proximity to patients*. Using Leica dental microscopes for examinations and treatment procedures offers the following benefits:
- Increased physical distance between the patient and the dentist
- Reduced risk of exposure to patient projections and splatter
- Microscope coating that provides an antimicrobial effect on surfaces to reduce pathogens
- Easy-to-clean microscopes, thanks to internally routed cables, as well as objectives and lenses that can be easily disinfected with ethanol
- The microscopes’ detachable parts, including handles and sterilizable covers, are made of robust materials to ensure durability and functionality during regular autoclaving and sterilization
Read our testimonials to learn more about how Dental Microscopes from Leica can help you in complying with your hygiene protocols.
* According to a report published by the New York Times
A dental microscope supports the dentist during micro-invasive surgeries and other surgical procedures with the aim to preserve the tooth structure and conserve tissue, while minimizing the risks and reducing healing time. Dental microsurgery offers the following advantages:
- Higher precision and accuracy, thanks to high magnification views with optimal depth perception and true-to-life colors
- Workflow efficiency under ergonomic conditions
- Improved patient care – microsurgery offers reduced risks and recovery time for patients, as well as better patient education using microscope images.
- Improved training and education due to integrated HD image and video recording.
- Improved documentation through transfer of images or videos to patient files.
To learn more about the advantages of using a dental microscope, please see our webinar recording from the endodontic expert Dr. Fabio Gorni: From dentistry to micro-dentistry: See more – optimize your dental workflow.
To choose the microscope that best fits the dentist’s needs, it is helpful to know some of the decisive features of a modern dental microscope.
- High optical quality, including high resolution, a large depth of field and true-to-life color representation.
- Powerful, yet safe microscope illumination for working in deep and narrow cavities.
- Ergonomic design and adjustable accessories to avoid strain and fatigue from repetitive movements and maintaining unnatural positioning during lengthy procedures.
- Functionality and workflow integration of the dental microscope with your dental practice environment.
- Documentation features, including image and video displays, as well as recording functions for patient files, training purposes, and presentations.
- Hygiene protocols – the dental microscope and related dental surgery instruments should be designed to promote easy cleaning and sterilization to support high hygiene standards.
To learn more, please refer to our article on important features to consider in a dental microscope.
Leica Microsystems is committed to supporting dental professionals in achieving the highest levels of precision throughout each step of their procedures to reach optimal patient outcomes.
Our dental surgical microscopes provide world-class optics and powerful illumination, as well as enhanced ergonomic features to significantly improve your workflow in dental surgery.
Leica dental microscopes M320, M525 and PROvido respond to the demands of a wide range of dental specialties, helping you work in comfort throughout your career.
To learn more about the benefits of Leica dental microscopes, please visit our Learn&Share article with videos by Dr. Fabio Gorni illustrating the advantages of using a dental microscope in endodontic surgeries and procedures.
Surgical Microscopes Dentistry
The M320 Dental Microscope: For you and your patients
Extend your insights with the M320 dental microscope designed for a wide range of dental surgery applications. It offers premium optical quality, high magnification, bright LED daylight illumination, an integrated HD camera, and significant ergonomic benefits.
According to the endodontic expert and M320 user, Dr. Dean Raicov, the M320 dental microscope empowers him to work more quickly and successfully in his daily practice.
The compact M525 F20 Surgical Microscope for micro-dentistry
Combining brilliant optics with precise maneuverability, the M525 F20 surgical microscope ensures optimal precision for efficient dental procedures
- High performance optics deliver images with vivid colors and great depth of field, which reduces the need for frequent refocusing during dental surgery.
- Smooth, finger-light movements for effortless maneuvering to easily guide the microscope securely, even by using the eyes or the nose.
- Optimal working distance, due to the motorized MultiFoc lens and the microscope’s compact size, allowing 207mm to 470mm of working distance and making the microscope ideal for many types of dental procedures.
- Powerful, yet safe illumination: the 180-Watt xenon illumination system ensures convenience and reliability during procedures. Our innovative BrightCare technology enables working distance-controlled light intensity.
In this video, Dr. Roberto Fornara explains the advantages of using the M525 F20 microscope for dental procedures.
See more, simply in micro-dentistry with the PROvido Surgical Microscope
Innovative Leica technology provides state-of-the-art visualization during dental procedures, helping dental professionals to seamlessly progress through their procedures, while offering the following benefits:
- Fully focused deep view into narrow cavities, due to the cutting-edge Leica FusionOptics technology, coupled with a 300-Watt xenon light featuring Small Angle Illumination
- Smart light management for increased patient safety and surgical viewing comfort: BrightCarePlus featuring automatic adjustment of light intensity according to the working distance
- Easy and intuitive microscope operation: One-hand microscope operation and precise micro-adjustments with a touch of the XY joystick control
- Enhanced microscope ergonomics with adjustable binoculars, a large working distance of up to 600 mm, and all controls at your fingertips
- Improved documentation process with the HD C100 camera from Leica or c-mount adapter for other cameras.
According to Dr. Iyad Ghoneim, an oral implantologist and oral surgeon working at Safad Dental Center in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, the PROvido surgical microscope allows him to work with greater precision and better ergonomics. Learn more about the benefits of surgical microscopy in minimally invasive dentistry by reading the full interview with Dr. Ghoneim.
- Endodontics expert Fabio Gorni shares his vast experience in micro-dentistry and provides answers to questions of the webinar participants at the end of the recording. This webinar allows you to…Read article
- Microscopes are playing an increasingly important role in endodontic surgery as they enable minimally invasive procedures to be carried out. Endodontists can work with high precision from the first…Read article
- Microscopes do not only provide better visualization during dental surgery. They also help ensure correct posture to avoid back pain and neck injuries. Dr. Iyad Ghoneim, from the Safad Dental Center…Read article
- Prof. Sleiman talks about the most important features for good imaging during his dental procedures using a Leica dental microscope. A large depth of field and a powerful illumination are very…Read article
- With its high magnification and coaxial illumination, a dental microscope provides enhanced visualization that supports diagnosis and treatment. Its documentation capabilities also play a major role…Read article
- In endodontics, accurate treatment is not only dependent on the technical skills and knowledge of the dentist, but also on clear, detailed visualization of the surgical field. As the outcome of an…Read article
- In dental medicine, the surgical microscope has become increasingly important for high-quality and successful surgeries, particularly in the field of endodontics. A microscope supports the dentist to…Read article
Video: Traumatic Soft and Hard Tissue Wound on the Maxillary Anterior with Microscope Assisted RehabilitationThe concept of minimal intervention dentistry became a primary approach to treat carious lesions. These days, this concept could be adapted to manage soft tissue around the teeth and implants as a…Read article
Video: Implant Microsurgery – Microscope-aided Maxillary Sinus Floor Elevation, Lateral Window TechniqueThe lateral window technique is a method of maxillary sinus floor elevation which enables implant placement in the maxillary posterior region where the maxillary sinus is enlarged and/or the alveolar…Read article
- Acidic beverages, such as soft drinks (orange juice, and cola), or ethanol (whisky), can produce erosion of resin composites. The surface degradation of resin materials is related to the content and…Read article
Interested to know more?
Talk to our experts. We are happy to answer all your questions and concerns.Contact Us
Do you prefer personal consulting?
Leica Microsystems Inc.1700 Leider LaneBuffalo Grove, IL 60089 United StatesOffice Phone : +1 800 248 0123Service Phone : 1 800 248 0223Fax : +1 847-236-3009